Service summary:
  • Both the original and copy of property documents can be used
  • You can email us a copy or post the original documents
  • We will certify your property documents for the FCDO
  • We do the rest. Get your apostille and return your documents.
  • The process takes 2-3 days and starts from £110.

We can certify and apostille most types of UK property documents.

Our solicitor or notary will certify your UK property documents before those documents are submitted for the apostille certificate.

We can return the legalised documents via DHL courier (next-day service), or you can collect them in person.

Jump to: How much does it cost? ↓ How long does it take?

The full order process: 

If you have any questions, please call 0207 0500 692

Step one:

Ensure your property estate documents are ready to be apostilled.

Step two:

Contact our office.

Please provide the following information:

  • How soon do you need the apostille?
  • How will the documents be delivered and returned?

When we have all the information, the team will assess your enquiry and give you a detailed quotation.

Step two:

Once your property documents have been apostilled, we will email you a scanned copy.

If you are not collecting your apostilled document from our London office – we will provide you with the DHL tracking number the courier gave.

Note that we return documents by DHL courier only. If you want to make other arrangements, please let us know.

How much does it cost? 

Getting an apostille for property documents starts from £110. (includes solicitor fees, FCDO fees, our fees & VAT).

Additional costs could be how many documents need an apostille.

Other cost examples are:

  • Same day or express service (+ £123)
  • UK return delivery costs (+ £20)
  • Notarisation by notary public (+ £90)
  • Embassy attestation (from £75)
  • Translations (from £60)

How long does it take to get an apostille?

Our standard processing time for getting an apostille is 2-3 days.

Here is what 2 to 3 days mean:

  • If your documents arrive by 10 am, it will take 2 days
  • If your documents arrive after 10 am, then it will take 3 days
    (+ next-day return delivery if required)

We also offer a same-day apostille service.

If a mailing or courier service is utilised, the same day becomes a 24-hour service.

Do I have to come to your office?

No, you don’t need to attend our office in Westminster. Documents can be sent by courier or by post. We recommend using a tracked service if you send your documents by post. We return your documents in the same way.

You are, of course, welcome to drop the documents off in person. However, delivering in person requires that you have an order number. Please make sure you contact our office first.

Does the apostille certificate prove that my property documents are genuine?

No, the apostille certificate does not prove that the underlying document is genuine. An apostille certificate confirms the authenticity of a document’s signature, stamp, or seal and the identity of the person who signed or issued the document.

Which UK property documents can be apostilled?

Here are some examples of property documents that can be apostilled if you sell or let a UK property to an overseas buyer or tenant. The documents in the list below must be certified before being submitted for an apostille certificate.

UK property to an overseas buyer or tenant:

  • Title deeds
  • Property information form (TA6)
  • Fixtures, fittings, and contents form (TA10)
  • Leasehold information form (TA7)
  • Energy performance certificate (EPC)
  • Local authority search
  • Water and drainage search
  • Environmental search
  • Homebuyer report or building survey
  • Mortgage offer (if applicable)
  • Proof of ID and address
  • Deeds of covenant (if leasehold)
  • Management pack (if leasehold)
  • Asbestos survey (if necessary)
  • Land registry documents
  • Property sale contracts

The above list is by no means exhaustive. By the same token, not all of them will be needed in every case. You should always ask which documents are required and whether they should be apostilled.

Which property documents are needed for buying or selling property overseas?

The following documents (or their local equivalents) may be needed for buying or selling property overseas:

  • Building permits (from local planning authorities)
  • Land survey (detailing boundaries, encroachments and easements)
  • Building survey report (if necessary)
  • Homeowners’ association approval (where necessary – USA only)
  • Sale deed/ purchase agreement
  • Copy of building plan/ architectural drawings
  • Extracts (from the local land registry office)
  • General power of attorney (if necessary)
  • No objection certificate (NOC) from relevant authorities (if necessary)
  • Allotment letter (if applicable)
  • Zoning/ usage permit (if necessary)
  • Property tax clearance certificate
  • Encumbrance Certificate (if necessary)

If a UK notary public has notarised an overseas document, it is sometimes possible to get a UK apostille. If the FCDO issues an apostille will depend upon where the documents have been issued and whether the notary will make the necessary checks in another country.

Should other steps be taken after the apostille is issued, such as translation or attestation?

If you need to take additional steps after your documents have been apostilled would depend on the requesting overseas authority.

You may need translations:

If your property documents are not in the country’s official language, it may be necessary to provide a translation for the local authorities.

Translations must be certified by a qualified translator and may need solicitor-certified or notarised. Always check the requirements with the requesting authority.

You may need attestation:

The authorities in the country where the transaction is taking place may require further authentication of the documents.

This can involve having the documents attested or legalised by the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.

These procedures are often required for countries not signatories to the Hague convention.

Again, you should research the specific requirements of the country where the transaction is taking place and take any steps necessary to ensure that your property documents meet those requirements.

This article has been written by experts and fact-checked by experts. We only link to high-quality sources like government information & data, original reporting and interviews with industry experts. Reputable publishers are also sourced and cited where appropriate to support the facts within our articles.

Where are my title deeds, and do I need them?

Guidance for buying property abroad